The Magic of Music Training
What is the Magic of Music Training?
What improves kids’ focus and concentration, reduces stress, fully engages them, and can be calming as well as energizing? Music! Join Kira and learn how to use music, rhythm, and song to completely captivate children. You’ll have an absolute blast in this high-energy, experiential workshop as you learn how to incorporate rhythm and song into your work with kids, making your programs incredibly engaging and fun.
Kira will demonstrate her teaching methods using original music from her award-winning CDs of kids’ yoga songs, as well as playing live. She’ll guide you in creating your own rhythm games and songs--with a focus on combining music and movement--to facilitate transitions, re-focus children, and create structure in your programs; and will help you choose the perfect music for your teaching needs. You’ll practice teach, using what you've learned, and leave totally inspired, with tons of ideas to incorporate into your kids’ yoga programs, classroom, or counseling sessions right away! Come play, move, and sing with Kira!
Kira will share:
- —How music affects the brain, and what it means for your lesson plans
- —How to use music to calm and focus children
- —Tips and techniques to easily incorporate rhythm and song into your classes
- —How music and memory work together to help kids retain information
- —How to use “hooks” and refrains to create memorable rhythm games and songs
- —Opportunities, with Kira’s guidance, to create your own rhythm games and songs to suit your specific class/needs
- —How to unify a group with music
- —How to combine music and movement to completely engage children
- —How music can aid in-class learning and improve at-home practice
- —Useful resources and handouts
- —LIVE music and singing throughout!
Who should attend:
- —Preschool - grade 5 educators
- —Music teachers
- —Physical education and health education teachers
- —School or family counselors
- —Child psychologists
- —Social workers
- —Occupational therapists
- —Physical therapists
- —Camp counselors
- —Recreation directors
- —Anyone who regularly works with children
*price includes: 7 hour training, manual & attendance at Kira's concert on Sunday*
Kira Willey is an award-winning children’s music artist, kids’ yoga & mindfulness expert, speaker, and creator of Rockin’ Yoga school programs. Kira’s four releases of yoga albums for kids have all won numerous industry awards and earned national acclaim; her hit songs include “Colors,” which was featured in a worldwide Dell ad campaign. Her most recent release is Every Voice, winner of Parents’ Choice Gold, that Foundation’s highest award.
Kira’s TEDx talk, “Bite-Sized Mindfulness,” can be viewed online, and her children’s mindfulness book, “Breathe Like a Bear,” was published in December; it’s been translated into eight foreign languages so far. PBS TV affiliates nationwide air several different yoga-for-kids programs Kira created and hosts; and her “Music You Can Move To” series with kids’ music superstar Laurie Berkner can be heard daily on SiriusXM Radio.
Kira leads Professional Development days for teachers, conducts music and yoga workshops, speaks at education conferences, and performs Rockin’ Yoga School Assemblies and Concerts with her band nationwide. She also leads the River Valley Choir, plays fiddle in the bluegrass band Moonshine & Millet, and is a founder of the area’s new singing-is-for-everyone experience, Pop-Up Choir!
When: Saturday April 13th
Price: Earl Bird $220 by 2/28 | $240 full tuition
Includes: Access to Kira's Rock'n Yoga concert on Sunday (for you- if you plan to bring any guests you will receive a discount on the ticket price)