Special Needs TT
An integration of yoga, creative arts and play presented by every Kids Yoga!
Discover the many ways that yoga can promote the healthy development of children ages 4-12. Find out how the practice of yoga parallels and supports other therapeutic modalities in addressing difficulties with attention, self-regulation, speech and language, learning and high and low muscle tone.
This experiential workshop will provide a strong foundation to teaching yoga to children with the following special needs:
Those who are easily over-stimulated
- Those who are potentially impulsive and/or distractible
- Those who exhibit poor social skills and boundaries
- Those who are learning disabled/with an emphasis on speech and language-based learning disabilities
- Those who are potentially oppositional and/or disruptive
- Those who present with high or low muscle tone
Diagnoses to include:
- High Functioning Autism/ Asperger’s Syndrome
- Sensory Processing Dysfunction (SPD)
- Learning Disabled (LD)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Mild Cerebral Palsy
The primary focus of this training will be upon working with groups of higher functioning children with special needs, who are essentially physically able. This training will not address working with severely physically, developmentally, cognitively or emotionally challenged children. Basic information will be provided throughout the training to assist participants in understanding the needs and challenges of the population outlined above. Professional therapists may benefit from this training by learning creative, developmentally appropriate, fun ways of engaging and supporting children with special needs in the practice of yoga.
This program is appropriate for Yoga teachers and parents, teachers and therapists with a personal yoga practice who are interested in incorporating yoga into their work with children.
As a result of taking this program, program participants will be able to:
- Structure a class for potentially impulsive children using behavior management and limit-setting techniques
- Modify postures for this population
- Teach breathing exercises, meditation and relaxation to children
- Integrate props, chanting, Thai Yoga Massage and partner yoga
- Employ visuals for children with language-based learning disabilities
- Use yoga to support speech and language, sensory processing, memory and reading comprehension
- March 8-10, 2019
- Fee: $595 | Early Bird Special $550 (Ends 2/4)
- *Includes EKY manual and CD*
- Call 512.358.6190 to register or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cancellation Policy: Full refund up to 2 weeks prior to the start of the training, minus a $100.00 cancellation fee. There are no refunds less than 2 weeks prior to the start of the course, however participation in a future course is an option with a $100.00 rescheduling fee.